mouse problems....

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Oct 12 23:43:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:30:02 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	The guy who set up my KVM/mouse deal thinks I would be better
> 	off just having a service do my hosting; I am close to agreeing.

It it possible that you recently had mail problems? When fetchmail'ing
today's bunch of messages, I got the error message that thought.org
did not resolve... but seems to work again now.

> 	Clearly, the Beklin model I have only supports USB keybd+mouse.
> 	They sell another that does USB and PS/2,  but I didn't think of
> 	that gotcha.

The problem might be related to USB handling on FreeBSD, I think.
>From your reports I see that there are no keyboard problems when
switching from / to the FreeBSD box, but the mouse doesn't fully
work. Did you get X working in the meantime?

> 	The kernel is set for PS/2 mice and evidently sticks them on
> 	/dev/sysmouse.

Yes - if one is present. At least X can be set to use sysmouse as
pointer device, but it is not a symlink to either a USB or PS/2
mouse. Currently, I'm using a Sun USB mouse, and there is

crw-------  1 root  wheel       0,  10 Oct 13 01:31 /dev/sysmouse

as well as

crw-r--r--  1 root  operator    0, 122 Oct 13 01:31 /dev/ums0

If this does survive a KVM switch-over, all is fine.

> Thru the sysinstall script, I see a mouse active
> 	in not-X11 but in console-mode.  And the /device for that tweak
> 	is missing from the /dev table.

I read that as follows: The sysinstall program initializes a mouse
and provides a cursor in text mode, means: mouse DOES WORK in text
mode, but not in X.

This is part 1 of the solution. You can now check what happens when
you switch off / to the FreeBSD box - to see if the mouse does still
work in text mode.

Part 2 would be to review X settings.

> 	I *can* get some mouse pointer working in one of at least two
> 	ways.  AS plain /dev/sysinstall, the mouse pointer jumps all
> 	over the screen untill I sh-exec /etc/rc.d/mouse with the "poll"
> 	arg.  Having a pointer in console mode tells me that at least
> 	FreeBSD does know the mouse is there, but I am out of ideas.

I think it is X (again, ah...) having problems here.

> 	Nutshell:: whatever, nothing mouse works in X11.  That was the
> 	whole point of this exercise.

Then you might be able to solve the problem when you check the
configuration file for X (or its absence, but then, the presence
of HAL and DBUS services).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany