Clean up / filesystem

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 10 16:12:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:00:43 +0000, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
> > I also understodd the meaning of /tmp in this way - "does not need
> > to survive reboot". For things that have a kind of temporary nature,
> > but have to survivve a reboot, /var/tmp is usually used.
>
> I did not know that. I aliased /var/tmp to /tmp which is tmpfsed
> I'm guessing I should undo that - right?

Just in case you encountered problems that *may* be related to
mergemaster, vi, or any other software you're running that requires
"persistent temporary files" (sounds illogical). There shouldn't
be much stuff accumulating in /var/tmp.

If you didn't have trouble yet, I don't think it is a big no-go to
symlink /var/tmp tp /tmp (tmpfs).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany