Which OS for notebook

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 15:21:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Arvid Warnecke
<arvid.warnecke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 01:11:30AM -0300, Leandro F Silva wrote:
>> Which OS are you using on your notebook, FreeBSD / Linux or MAC ?
>> Also, can you tell us the hardware, Sony / HP etc..
>>
> Right now I use Mac OSX on my MacBook Pro and FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE on my
> IBM/Lenovo T60 Notebook.
>
> The only issue I have with FreeBSD is the configuration for
> suspend/resume and battery lifetime (the big battery lasts for ca. 3,5
> hours).
> Everything else works fine.

Have you taken a look at this?

http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption

Additionally, the new timer infrastructure has and will allow for even
more power saving (especially when the "tickless" functionality is
implemented):

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=209371
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=212541

Regarding the suspend/resume; it took me a while to get my Lenovo X300
to reliably (99.9% of the time) resume. I have to kldunload the USB
stack to have the ports function on resume, and I still get the
occasional VGA reinit lock-up, but mostly it works :)

Things have been better since I moved to 9-CURRENT...

> I have been thinking about FreeBSD on the Macbook Pro dual booting (I
> need Mac OSX for photography software), but I am not sure if the
> hardware will be supported that well.

Here's an excellent place to start your research:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook

Good luck!

-Brandon