KDE

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Oct 8 19:28:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:30:51 +0600, Aftab Jahan Subedar <jahan at bol-online.com> wrote:
> Dear Polytropon,
>
> U were too polite to introduced this pcbsd. it looks very lucrative. I
> am gonna start download today and experiment.

I had good experiences in the past with providing PC-BSD to users
with (1st) beginner-level knowledge and (2nd) sufficiently modern
hardware. As a German, I found that KDE's localisation and inter-
nationalisation, the language support for the german language,
was not as good as that of Gnome. Minor problems occured when
needing to install codecs (to make the KDE media player usable),
but that's not because of a technical, but an idiotic reason. :-)

The overall "out of the box experience" is still quite good, and
the amount of time needed to get things working is significantly
small, as long as you don't have "extraordinary" hardware you need
to support.

> Have u used this ?

Yes, but it's not *my* cup of tea... :-)

> Is
> Yahoo Messenger or Skype supported?

KDE contains a "complete" messenger system that can connect to
Yahoo services, as far as I remember. Skype should work, too, but
*may* be limited in regards of videoconferencing.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany