Help with RealTek 8201 / rlphy

Mark Moellering mark at msen.com
Thu Oct 7 19:12:04 UTC 2010

  On 07-Oct-10 2:42 PM, Lokadamus wrote:
>  Am 07.10.2010 18:50, schrieb Mark Moellering:
>>  I am installing FreeBSD 8.1 on an MSI wind notebook, which has a
>> RealTek 8201 wireless chip.  The kernel acknowledges the chip as
>> rlphy0 on mii but I have no idea of how to actually configure it.
>> It shows up as miibus/rlphy in kldstat and as dev.rlphy.0
>> It does not show up under ifconfig
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Mark Moellering
>>
> Have you read this?
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html
     I have.  I have no problem setting up wireless interfaces on other
computers where there is a known/accepted driver and an ifconfig entry.

If I try and create the wlan0 device using "# ifconfig wlan0 create
wlandev rlphy0" I get the following
# ifconfig : SIOCIFCREATE2: Device not configured

I have read through a variety of man pages and I can't figure out how to
tell ifconfig there is a device rlphy0 which attaches to sysctl -
dev.rlphy.0

I have found an entry under the miibus man:

A generic driver has been included for all PHYs that
      are not handled by a specific driver, this is possible because all 10/100
      PHYs implement the same general register set along with their vendor spe-
      cific register set.

but I can find no info on how to use that driver or get it to show up under ifconfig.  If I list all interfaces under ifconfig, I just get re0 and lo0

Thanks for the reply.

Mark