Which OS for notebook

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Oct 5 20:10:53 UTC 2010

David Kelly wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 01:11:30AM -0300, Leandro F Silva wrote:
> >
> > Which OS are you using on your notebook, FreeBSD / Linux or MAC ?
> > Also, can you tell us the hardware, Sony / HP etc..
>
> MacOS X 10.6.4. Its solid, supported, and Unix. In general the Unix
> things that need to be treated differently between MacOS and FreeBSD are
> exactly the sort of things you need to be prepared for for jumping
> between any Unix (or Unix clone).
>
> Apple hardware is exceptionally good. Generally run 5 to 8 years before
> upgrading. Got my original MacBook Pro in January 2006 and its still
> Going strong on the original battery. Its biggest limitation today is
> its
> 2GB max memory, but the Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz CPU is plenty good.

Here i am using a Sony laptop under Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx). Everything
works perfectly OK, i could not be happier. I have a partition with
FreeBSD 8.1 on this laptop, wireless works but ACPI doesn't at all.  On
desktops i use FreeBSD because it generally works and i like it better.
As for Apple hardware, the experience in our lab is that is is by far
the worst quality of almost all the machines we have. No other brand
(Dell, etc.) has such massive hardware problems (screen failing, cdroms
failing, mobo failing  etc.). Another thing to consider is the ease of
maintaining the software on the machine. My personal opinion is that
Ubuntu (more generally Debian) is light years ahead of FreeBSD in this
domain. I am quite sure you will find vocal people to claim otherwise.

--

Michel TALON