concerning flash under freebsd

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Tue Oct 5 17:58:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 03:04:00PM +0200, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Programmer in Training
> <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
> > I will tell Adobe to provide a FreeBSD-native release, though it would be
> > nice to know I won't be the only one. I'm actually going right now to do so.
>
> Good luck with that. Adobe doesn't care about FreeBSD. Never did,
> and probably never will. They don't even care about 64-bit Linux users...
>
> If you absolutely need Flash on FreeBSD, I'd suggest you install
> VirtualBox, and inside VirtualBox a Flash-supported OS, like
> OpenSolaris (that's what I do when I absolutely need Flash support).
>
> It's not the cleanest solution, but at least, I don't have to clutter
> my FreeBSD system with A LOT of Linux dependencies just to
> get a barely working Flash.
>
> -cpghost.

I followed your advice when I discovered your message.
No problem to install the opensolaris guest and the flash player.
Video seems okay, but there is no sound and I cannot find out why.
Needless to say that audio works fine on the host which is still on
8.0-RELEASE-p4 for the time being. I can't imagine that this
could be the reason.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Harald Weis