Which OS for notebook

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Oct 5 17:23:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 01:11:30AM -0300, Leandro F Silva wrote:

> Which OS are you using on your notebook, FreeBSD / Linux or MAC ?
> Also, can you tell us the hardware, Sony / HP etc..

I'm using FreeBSD on my Lenovo ThinkPad T60.  One of the nice things
about choosing FreeBSD for my laptop OS of choice is that, unlike MS
Windows 7, I do not need to get the latest and greatest hardware to get
acceptable performance.

Of course, there are downsides to my choice, such as the lack of proper
hardware acceleration with an AMD/ATI graphics adapter, but since I have
stopped playing World of Warcraft (any computer game bores me after a
little while), there is little need for that kind of thing.

When deciding what to use, the first thing you need to do is figure out
your needs.  What kind of hardware do you need to support?  How much ACPI
support is "enough"?  What do you need your software to do?  There is no
OS that does everything better than any other OS.  This applies to
Ubuntu, MS Windows, and FreeBSD (and pretty much everything else, too).

Because my requirements for hardware are reasonably simple, my
requirements for software capabilities take precedent.  As such, out of
the various OSes with which I am comfortable to some degree, I pretty
much get to choose whatever OS I want.  Given my requirements for
software capabilities, FreeBSD is the obvious choice.