simplest way to get gnome/ kde up and running

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Oct 3 13:07:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 08:22:06PM +0800, Foo JH wrote:
>   Hi guys,
>
> I've been trying without luck to get KDE/ Gnome configured. I've been
> reading and re-reading (and trying and re-trying) to get the window
> manager running, but it's been driving me nuts.
>
> - How far I've gotten:
> 1. Installing Xorg from the DVD package is easy.  I've added the
> hald_enable and dbus_enable to /etc/rc.conf
> 2. Xorg -configure looks like it's working too: i get the skeleton
> outlined window manager that I believe is fwm

The default window manager included with X.org is actually twm (not
that it actually matters for this question.)

> 3. Xorg -configure xorg.conf.new -retro works too
>
> - Where I'm stuck:
> 1. So far ~/.xinitrc is missing. But I followed the Handbank anyway and
> did this:
> echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
>
> 2. Running startx crashes now because it complains
> /usr/local/bin/gnome-session is missing  - that's true.
>
> Am I missing something? Or is there an easier way that Linux distros
> have been very successful at? I'm a Freebie and I'd prefer to go with
> FreeBSD as much as possible.

Have you actually installed KDE and/or Gnome?  I don't see that step
included in what you say you have done.
If you have not you will of course need to do that before you can
configure either of them.
For Gnome you will probably want the x11/gnome2 port/package while for
KDE you will probably want either x11/kde3 or x11/kde4 (depending on if
you want KDE 3.x or KDE 4.x)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson