ssh-agent and ssh-add on FreeBSD

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 14:47:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM, bluethundr <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey list
>
>  On my CentOS machines I usually keep track of my rsa key with
> ssh-agent, ssh-add and keychain
>
>  I would like to know
>
> a) how to install keychain under FreeBSD
> and
> b) how to fix this error:
>
> [bluethundr at LBSD2:~]#ssh sum1
> Enter passphrase for key '/home/bluethundr/.ssh/id_rsa':
> [bluethundr at LBSD2:~]#exec ssh-agent bash
> [bluethundr at LBSD2:~]#ssh-add
> Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.a
>

> Whenever I try to ssh to another box on the network (with a homedir
> shared amongst all centos  and FreeBSD machines) it prompts me for my
> passphrase. Usually on the CentOS boxes exec ssh-agent bash does the
> trick. Anyone have any idea why this isn't working on the FreeBSD box?
>
> thanks!!

The man page for ssh-agent is very informative:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ssh-agent&sektion=1

I read it recently when setting up my system to do as you're trying to do.

Of course, don't hesitate to refer to the EXCELLENT FreeBSD Handbook,
it is absolutely one of the best references I've ever seen for any
software:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/openssh.html

Good luck!

-Brandon