binutils problem? WAS [Re: static linking error: ELF binary type "0" not known. Exec format error. Binary file not executable.]

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Nov 29 13:04:17 UTC 2010

----- Forwarded message from Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt at mac.com> -----
On Nov 10, 2010, at 5:32 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

[ia64]
> ia64% file a.out
> a.out: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, IA-64, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, not stripped

[amd64]
> amd64% file a.out
> a.out: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, for FreeBSD 9.0 (900023), not stripped

The branding on ia64 is wrong. The executable is not marked as being
a FreeBSD executable. It's declared as SYSV, whereas on amd64 it's
properly declared as FreeBSD.

This is a binutils problem.
FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com

----- End forwarded message -----

Anybody here can explain better what Marcel meant
by "binutils problem", and how to fix it?

I've binutils-2.20.1_3 installed from devel/binutils.

many thanks
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht