new user questions. (Before I back myself into a corner!)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Nov 26 21:18:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:53:51 -0500, Chris Brennan <xaero at xaerolimit.net> wrote:
> There are two options that I know of that could make this part easier for
> you
>
> 1) screen (tried and true) can do split windows/multiple windows although
> I've never been able to correctly figure it out
>
> 2) tmux (the pretentious upstart), it's a quick install and it's built in
> help (^b?) is eternally useful and it's options make more sense then screen
> (to me at least)

Along with the Spanish Inquisition, there are three! Three!
Three options: screen, tmux, and the native solution of
virtual terminals via Alt+PFx switch. This even allows
you to use the mouse-driven edit buffer (copy + paste),
e. g. if you need to compose a command line using the
examples listed in the man page.

If you're accessing a system remotely, there is also the
option of opening -- FOUR! Four options! -- the option
of opening more than one connection to the remote system,
and each of them in an own xterm (or KDE Konsole tab
which I would say if I had been using KDE, but I haven't).
Of course, this solution also allows you copy + paste
operations. Other means of accessibility are provided by
the window manager you're using.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany