Xorg 7.6 question and hopes

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Thu Nov 25 20:23:20 UTC 2010

The change log for X11R7.6-RC1 says for the vesa driver:

   Don't artificially limit the screen size to 2k

   VBE lets you specify sizes in uint16_t. X won't work above 32k though, so
   clamp to that instead of the arbitrary 2k.

Does anyone know if this will allow larger screen resolutions or is this just
internal video card magic?

It seems that the Intel driver waits for kernel changes. What I know about the
kernel could not be seen on an electron microscope so it is easy for me to
ponder workarounds. <ponder>For whatever features depend on the kernel
[DRM|AGP|...]: could be kernel or the driver be configured just to say those
features do not exist here.</ponder>

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com