foo; no such thing as a "dual-nic" atom firewall

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Nov 25 18:22:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 12:48:47PM +0000, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 11/25/10 03:01, Gary Kline wrote:
> >Folks (mostly Adam),
> >
> >Hang on a sec.  I think I misread what my friend said.
> >Following is a snip of what he said was good; that this was among
> >the stuff he installed a few years back and now was much better::
> >

> >>ALIX.2D13 system board - $115
> >>CompactFlash card 4GB SLC - $20
> >>Enclosure - $9
> >>AC adapter - $13
> >

> >Is this the same board and so forth that Arthur pointed me at below?
> >My friend's name is Noah; what he saw was that the boad was not in
> >stock and that it would not be restocked until 20dec.   Because the
> >15th is better for Noah to drive down, I would like to have the
> >stuff here when it's best for him.   Figure ther have to be other
> >vendors that sell this.
>
> OK, I'm in the UK as are these people I buy from, but they do prices
> in dollars as well as pounds and euros, and will ship to the US.
> They don't have a 2d13 at the moment but do have 2d3s in stock (the
> 2d13 has a battery and RTC extra, that's all).
>
> http://linitx.com/index.php
>
> They've got enclosures, but the power supplies are european plugs.
> However, they are universal (100-250V), so an EU->US adapter would
> work. I use a SanDisk CF card in mine, and the pfSense install
> worked like a dream. The only wrinkle is remembering to change the
> serial line speed from 19200 to 9600 baud before installing pfSense,
> as the serial bootloader likes 9600.
>
> I'd recommend getting "pfSense: The Definite Guide" as well
>
> http://www.amazon.com/pfSense-Definitive-Christopher-M-Buechler/dp/0979034280/ref=sr_1_1/177-9101540-7293707?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290689178&sr=1-1

	I _will_ order the Guide since I rely on pfSense ...

	What I ordered last night was the "6e1". The pcengines.com site
	pointed me to a netgate website here in the States.  So: the
	entire kit is enroute; or will be soon.

	What I don't understand is the CF card and howto install
	pfSense.  I'll re-read wherever I have to but some clues would
	certainly help.  I installed pfSense by CDROM initially and
	figure this time the install would be done by thumb-drive.
	[?]

	Pointers, URLs welcome!

	gary

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org