freebsd PHP extensions: missing option ?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Nov 24 19:23:52 UTC 2010

n dhert wrote:
> There is something I would like clarified with PHP extension options...
>
> # cd /usr/ports/lang/php52-extensions
> # make showconfig | grep PDO
>      PDO=on "PHP Data Objects Interface (PDO)"
>      PDO_SQLITE=on "PDO sqlite driver"
> This corresponds with
> # cat /var/db/ports/php5-extensions/options | grep PDO
> WITH_PDO=true
> WITH_PDO_SQLITE=true
>
> However, the interactive menu, displays one more option: PDO_MYSQL
> # cd /usr/ports/lang/php52-extensions
> # make config
>       [X] PDO         PHP Data Objects Interface (PDO)
>       [X] PDO_SQLITE  PDO sqlite driver
>       [X] PDO_MYSQL   PDO mysql driver
>
> --> 1st question: why does the options file not contain a
> WITH_PDO_MYSQL=true line ?

It's not a default option, because not everyone uses MySQL.

> and if I further look:
> $ pkg_info | grep pdo
> php52-pdo-5.2.14_1  The pdo shared extension for php
> php52-pdo_mysql-5.2.14_1 The pdo_mysql shared extension for php
> php52-pdo_pgsql-5.2.14_1 The pdo_pgsql shared extension for php
> php52-pdo_sqlite-5.2.14_1 The pdo_sqlite shared extension for php
>
> $ grep pdo /usr/local/etc/php/extensions.ini
> extension=pdo.so
> extension=pdo_mysql.so
> extension=pdo_sqlite.so
> extension=pdo_pgsql.so
>
> in a web browser phpinfo.php also tells me:
>  PDO support          enabled
>  PDO drivers          pgsql, sqlite, mysql
>
> So I also have and use also pdo_pgsql
>
> The interactive menu for php5 extensions does not provide a [ ] PDO_PGSQL
> option
>
> --> 2nd question: why not such an option in the interactive menu?

I can't answer that; I do note that this is true in the main trunk
ports/lang/php5-extensions as well; a user note on the php.net site
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/pdo.installation.php) makes a similar
complaint.  Suggestion:  run "make maintainer" in the php52-extensions
directory and respectfully mail that person with your question.

> Some other ports need pdo_pgsql and install it along with the port as a
> dependency, e.g.  davical. I installed that in march 2010 and did several
> portugprades (0.9.7.6, 0.9.8.1, 0.9.8.4 - no problems). But from version
> 0.9.9 onwards davical doesn't want to portupgrade any longer and throws a
> message  'Unknown extension pdo_pgsql for PHP52' ...
>
> This must be related with the configuration of php extensions, but the file
> /var/db/ports/php5-extensions/options  should not be edited manually.
>
> 3rd question: How to solve this?

See above for starters.  You might also be able to hack the Makefile,
but that's just what it is ... a hack ;-)

Good luck!

Kevin Kinsey