More On Samba And Softupdates

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Sun Nov 21 16:56:17 UTC 2010

The other day I mentioned I had a problem with a Samba-shared drive that
was just installed blowing up.  When I rebuilt it, I forgot to enable
softupdates but the drive seems to be working flawlessly.  I understand
it is possible to do this after-the-fact with tunefs.  Some questions:

   Do I have to unmount the drive to do it?
   What benefit will I get if I turn on softupdates?

This drive is being used as a backup drive for all the workstations on
this particular network, and "reliable" is much more important than "
slightly faster".
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com