About FreeBSD kernel newbies

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:47:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Michael Powell <nightrecon at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone has considered the creation of  a kernel
>> newbies mail list for FreeBSD.
>> I am aware of two places where someone can ask questions about that:
>> either freebsd-hackers@ or the "FreeBSD Development" forum
>> at http://forums.freebsd.org.
>>
>> I've been following the Linux kernel newbies list for a while and I
>> think it is very informative.
>>
>> Would it be good to have such a list?
>>
> Can't say for sure myself, but certain points do spring to mind - mainly
> based upon the fact than 'BSD's are not Linux. The main difference that
> would apply is the separation in the Linux world between kernel development
> and userland. Some work on the kernel while others package distros, adding a
> userland to what kernel developers produce.
>
> FreeBSD is not Linux in that it is a complete operating system, kernel and
> userland are developed together and distributed as a complete unit. Since
> there is no separation between kernel and userland development maybe an

Actually, there is separation. Although they are shipped as a one complete
and integrated product, they do differ in the way they are developed.

> alternate proposal might be for people coming to FreeBSD from the Linux
> world to endeavor to learn and adjust to what has worked for the community
> well for many years now. In other words, leave the Linuxisms in Linux land
> and learn the FreeBSD-isms.

Yes, that's one way to do it. In fact, that's probably one of the most
straightforward
ways to jump from Linux to FreeBSD.

> The FreeBSD community does try and function as a meritocracy for a lofty
> goal. It may not be perfect, but it also does try and be open and look at
> new ideas when they come around. Things not immediately dismissed out of
> hand will be debated from the bottom up, and if by the time it percolates
> upwards to the top it has survived many a thrashing it may just be
> committed.
>
> So, no harm in proposing new ideas. Just keep in mind that many times such
> proposals have a limited lifetime and have actually been proposed before.
> The community may have bandied the idea about and decided not to pursue it.
> Then it is quickly forgotten until the next cycle comes around with some
> newcomer proposing the same thing again. It happens. Witness the "Why Do You
> Have a Devil for a Mascot" meme that continues to resurface periodically
> year after year. We got tired of that many years ago, but it just will not
> go away...  :-)
>
> So if the larger community and it's reasoned approach decides a proposal has
> merit for whatever number of supporting arguments, and idea might just take
> flight. Whatever I, as one individual, may think about any one idea/proposal
> it is the larger community in general that will decide.

It was just an idea. I don't really know if there is room for such
list. Maybe it is better
to ask questions (though they could have an 'obvious' answer) at
freebsd-hackers@
or freebsd-current@ as Robert suggested.

Regards.