Is ZFS ready for prime time?

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:54:17 UTC 2010

On 15 November 2010 20:42, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Devin Teske <dteske at vicor.com> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like FUD.
>>
>> Like the OP, I too am interested in the current state of ZFS. We've been
>> following the threads as far as build 28, and I do indeed see positive
>> improvement and continued development. However, is anyone that is
>> actively involved in the project able to provide a snapshot opinion of
>> the production readiness of ZFS for enterprise deployment?
>>
>> If the opinion is that ZFS is not ready for production, are there any
>> technical explanations as to the efficacy or lack thereof rather than
>> the above philosophical FUD which implores the OP to pour over massive
>> archives (which can paint an inverse picture because the archives are
>> usually filled with a higher number of issues than success stories --
>> which is true of nearly ANY mailing-list)?
>>

> You'll need to go over to freebsd-fs@ if you want a technical discussion.
> All you'll get here is meaningless opinionated philosophical gibber with
> little to no basis in reality.
>

> --
> Adam Vande More

 true, but well all know that politics influence our jobs and lives far more
than the absolute truth, so you cant just ignore it unfortunately. You get a
failure of some kind, then some clueless suit does some googling, puts 1 and
2 together and comes up with 7, and suddenly your in a hard place justifying
your choices.