I need help

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Mon Nov 15 17:47:57 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Mohsen Mostafa Jokar
<mohsenjokar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> My name is mohsen,I'm a student in software engineering.I'm from Iran.
> I see Non-English Mailing lists in FreeBSD web site,and i understand FreeBSD
> not have mailing list for my countery.
> FrreBSD is popular distro in my country,I want know for create new mailing
> list for my country what should i do?
> I thankful If you guide me.

Hi Mohsen,

Look at the statement at the bottom of the non-English mailing list bullets:

"If you create other FreeBSD mailing lists, let us know about them."
The link points to here: http://www.freebsd.org/mailto.html

You would need to round-up local FBSD user groups to see if they can
contribute to the maintenance of your server and Internet/Hosting
costs. Probably your best bet is a University that is willing to host
the server for you.

Once you have firgured out who and how you are going to cover the
costs of your mailing list and tie a domain to it. A domain like
FreeBSD would almost certainly be taken, in your case, Mr. Mehdi
Halataei has registered FreeBSD.ir but FreeBSD.org.ir is free so the
first thing I would do is go to http://www.nic.ir/ before some else
takes it. I would also contact Mr. Halataei to see what his intentions
are with that domain and maybe work together.

Once you have solved the issues above, get yourself some hardware and
set-up Mailman for your list. Once the list is ___working and
active___, contact the FBSD people to see if they can add it to the
non-English list. There may be some legal issues here because of the
export controls to Iran, in fact, there are probably even legal issues
downloading FBSD to Iran in the first place, although I think that
most components and ports qualify for exception of category 5 part II
of EAR, but I'm not an expert and this issue has come up several times
here so check the archives for more information.

A cheaper and fast alternative is to use Google Groups but I don't
know if it's legal or not, because as you probably know Google has no
direct presence in Iran. Check out with them first before you use that
option so later you won't lose your list archives if they shut down
the list.

--
Alejandro Imass