Fwd: FreeBSD on Rackspace Could

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:49:56 UTC 2010

For us it is mostly cost but the other advantage (with RS at least) is
you can size the "hardware" to fit your needs and not get any more
then you need... for example when we first started our consulting firm
back in July we bought 256MB of RAM (RS sizes the Disk, CPU,
Bandwidth, etc. as a multiple of RAM) and then moved to 512MB in Sept.
and except for the 10 mins it took for RS to transfer our server image
from a 1U VM to a 2U VM (1U = 256MB/RAM) the move was completely
painless and no time and effort was needed to update the OS, 3rd party
apps, our custom made code, etc....

Like I said early the only downside of using RS as our primary server
provider (even though we use it for internal development only [but
since each of the 3 partners lives in a different part of the US it is
much cheaper and easier then having it in one of our houses because
none of our ISP's allow static IP's for non-business users which is
twice the cost almost])