History of C (Re: Why do you use a devil as a mascot?)

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:42:02 UTC 2010

> CPL never amounted to much -- I don't know whether it was ever
> implemented at all -- but BCPL developed a following.  Someone
> (at Bell Labs?) produced a derivative called B, from which a few
> researchers at Murray Hill derived C.  Thus the question:  should
> the next language in the series be named D (next alphabetically)
> or P (next letter of BCPL)?

Wow!!!  I had forgotten... I have done some projects using BCPL... in a
mainframe (S370) running
MVS in the 70's...
it was lightning fast. we had made a kind of TSO (time sharing option)
that runs on top
of VTAM, to bring "online compile and run" cobol programs to the
desktop...
while a batch work responds  in 3 hours, a TSO (written in bcpl)
responds in seconds...

Thanks for remember the "good old days" ...
it is still active!!! =====> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mr10/BCPL.html

Sergio