Why do you use a devil as a mascot?

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Fri Nov 12 23:44:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 05:38:10PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >
> > You would have starved before now if other people had your attitude.
>
> Not at all.
>
> It does indeed involve indulging others to do what you described.  There
> is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but "indulgent" is exactly what
> it is.
>
> While it may be "intelligent" to do so as well (depending on
> circumstances and goals), it is not *the* intelligent thing to do, which
> implies that anything else is necessarily "unintelligent".  May other
> approaches could be intelligent as well, including some non-indulgent
> approaches.
>
> This "attitude" does not preclude being indulgent, and I'm sure that any
> of us who have that "attitude" would indulge our children (if we have
> them) by feeding them in their youth to ensure they do not starve.  One
> would hope, however, that we would teach those children to be a bit more
> self-sufficient before they reach the age of majority, however -- and
> that this self-sufficiency might suggest to them that a first approach to
> figuring out how to find out why a particular OS uses a given logo might
> be to check Wikipedia or search Google, or even to check the mailing list
> archives, before making accusatory, holier-than-thou demands of the
> community in the mailing list.
>
> The entire approach of the OP's demands was offensive and showed a
> distinct attitude of unwarranted entitlement.  It should be no wonder
> that people did not respond positively, especially given that it happens
> probably about twice a year.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

the list or b) learned to keep his mouth shut and scampered off into the
dark to learn the proper netiquette of this list. Must we continue to beat
this already dead horse?

Did you know...
If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
                                     ...it installs Windows 2000

   -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org