portmaster question

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:38:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 06:22:55 -0500
Jerry <freebsd.user at seibercom.net> wrote:

> I don't see anything that specifically states the the "-R  or -r"
> flags are in included with the "-a" flag; although I might be
> misinterpreting it. If it was implied i think it should have been
> better documented.

-aRr isn't implied by -a, the rR options are ignored in the former.

I think it's fairly clear that recursing through installed
packages with consistent dependecies isn't going to find a package
that isn't in the set of all installed packages. The remaining question
is whether -Ra also recurses though new dependencies, and that's covered
in the entry for -R.

It doesn't really matter though, since -aRr is only a waste of
keystrokes.

> Perhaps the only way to positively ascertain the correct answer would
> be to actually study the apps code,

   opts.def_option("-a", "--all",
                    "Do with all the installed packages") {
      |$all|
      $recursive = false
      $upward_recursive = false
    }
    opts.def_option("-r", "--recursive",
                    "Do with all those depending on the given packages"
<< NEXTLINE << "as well") {
      $recursive = true unless $all
    }

    opts.def_option("-R", "--upward-recursive",
                    "Do with all those required by the given packages"
    << NEXTLINE << "as well / Fetch recursively if -F is specified") {
      $upward_recursive = true unless $all
      $fetch_recursive = true
    }

      if $fetch_recursive