Anybody know apt-get ?

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Sun Nov 7 13:52:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg at tristatelogic.com>wrote:

> I need to get sources for the Linux version of certain programs that
> reside in a package called "bsdutils".  I have built and installed
> the "apt-get" program and now I'm just trying to use it, and things
> are going very badly indeed.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here?  The errors I am
> getting are shown below, and here are the current contents of my
> /usr/local/etc/apt/sources.list file:

> # See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
> # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
> # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted contrib
> non-free
>
> # Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
> deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted
> contrib non-free
>

> Here's what happens when I try to fetch the sources:
>

> % apt-get source bsdutils
> Reading package lists... 0%Reading package lists... 100%Reading package
> lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... 0%Building dependency tree... 0%Building
> dependency tree... 0%Building dependency tree... 0%Building dependency
> tree... Done
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.commaverick/main Packages
> (/var/db/apt/state/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_binary-freebsd-i386_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.commaverick/restricted Packages
> (/var/db/apt/state/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_restricted_binary-freebsd-i386_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.commaverick/contrib Packages
> (/var/db/apt/state/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_contrib_binary-freebsd-i386_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://us.archive.ubuntu.commaverick/non-free Packages
> (/var/db/apt/state/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_non-free_binary-freebsd-i386_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
> E: Could not open file
> /var/db/apt/state/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_source_Sources
> - open (2 No such file or directory)

I am going to take a stab in the dark here and suggest that some sort of db
needs to be built for apt ... clues in the part /var/db...... (man apt-get?)

Did you know...

If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,
but what's worse is when you play it forward....
                                      ...it installs Windows 2000

   -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org