ssmtp - possible anomaly with SSL

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at insightbb.com
Sat Nov 6 11:52:32 UTC 2010

I recently figured out how to send mail thru my ISP ID using ssmtp.  I had
previously only been using KMail, and I had it configured to use port 465  SSL
LOGIN.

I can send mail when I don't use port 465:
mailhub=mail.InsightBB.com

but if I add the port 465 a,d enable SSL with:
UseTLS=YES

then I use the -v switch and also -auFreeBSD -apPassword
as in smtp -v -auFreeBSD -apPassword freebsd at insightbb.com

and the messages all indicate success, but the mail never arrives. It does
when I don't use SSL on port 465.

KMail does work with SSL on port 465.

--
System Name:   laptop2.StevenFriedrich.org
Hardware:      2.80GHz Intel Pentium 4 (HTT) with 2 GB memory