ZFS License and Future

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Nov 5 21:35:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 03:11:47PM -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:

> A while back I started the thread "Troubles on SATA drives ZFS". I
> decided to bring the zpool down check each disk and re-construct the
> pool. Nevertheless, I was revising one of the ZFS error message links
> and Oracle made me create a developer id to access the info. This
> really pissed me off even more than teh Android suit, so it got me
> thinking...
>
> Maybe I should go back to UFS, CCD, GEOM, etc. instead of continuing
> to support f***ing Oracle. ZFS was honestly very easy and seemed very
> reliable and fast, but I would like the opinion and position of people
> here on ZFS before I continue using it.

Frankly, it may be a couple of years before Oracle even decides what it
will do with ZFS in the long run.  I have not started using it to any
substantial degree and, considering the change in ownership, I'm unlikely
to start using it if I do not have an immediate, specific use-case that
calls for the capabilities of ZFS in particular.

. . . on top of which, I don't feel a need to do Oracle any favors.  Your
mileage may vary, of course.