'Broadcom Wireless b/g (BCM4315/BCM22062000)'

Chris Brennan xaero at xaerolimit.net
Wed Nov 3 18:45:34 UTC 2010

I figured the general users list was a good place to start. I'm somewhat new
to FreeBSD still, I have one fbsd7.3 home server and it serves it's purposes
quite nicely. I decided to installed FreeBSD64 on my laptop. For the most
part, things went very well. I got X/Gnome/OOo3 (for school) installed and
am trucking along quite nicely. My Hiccup as the subject suggests is about
my Wireless Card. I have been following the handbook (
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html) on how to use
64-bit Windows drivers coupled w/ ndisgen to get my wireless card working. I
got ndisgen to generate a kernel module but it immediately caused my laptop
to reboot when the kernel was loaded. This left me scratching my head. I
think I might need firmware (I remember having to extract firmware from the
driver for linux).

pciconf shows the following:

[root at BlackDragon [~]# pciconf -lv | grep -A3 0x4315
none8 at pci0:8:0:0:       class=0x028000 card=0x137c103c chip=0x431514e4
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
    device     = 'Broadcom Wireless b/g (BCM4315/BCM22062000)'
    class      = network
[root at BlackDragon [~]#

The laptop is an HP dv2845SE and it's running FreebSD64-8.1. Let me know if
I missed anything.

Did you know...

If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,

but what's worse is when you play it forward....
                                      ...it installs Windows 2000

   -- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org