Continuing problem with "portsnap"

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 11:38:28 UTC 2010

On 02/11/2010 11:34, Jerry wrote:
> Since "portsnap' has been failing on my system, I tried a different
> approach and decided to rebuild the port entirely rather than just
> download an updated snapshot. This is the result of just such a
> venture:
>
> portsnap fetch extract
> Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap1.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap5.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap6.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap4.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>
> You will notice that all the mirrors appear broken. Now, I can reach the
> FreeBSD web site, and every other site I commonly visit without a
> problem; therefore, I believe the problem resides somewhere with the
> portsnap mirrors.
>
> Can anyone confirm or further thesis this thesis?

Working from the UK

[root at seaurchin ~]# portsnap fetch
Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap1.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
Updating from Tue Nov  2 02:25:26 GMT 2010 to Tue Nov  2 11:26:20 GMT 2010.
Fetching 4 metadata patches... done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 0 metadata files... done.
Fetching 9 patches..... done.