OpenGL 3.3 and 4.0/4.1 for FreeBSD?

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Nov 1 19:51:16 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'd like to write some 3D programs with OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGL 4.0/4.1
API on FreeBSD, but I wonder which GPUs are supported at all, and which
are well supported with stable drivers (on FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64).

I know that MesaGL is still at OpenGL 2.1 level, so a proprietary closed
binary blob driver + libs are needed to get 3.3 and 4.0/4.1 APIs, right?
Do they have to be installed manually, or are there ports that are up to
date and regularly updated? How painful is the experience?

Which (GPU, driver) pair works best? I have no problems getting a new
GPU, as long as it is definitely well supported on i386 and on amd64.

Oh, while we're at it, I'm also interested in stuff like OpenCL and CUDA,
so I guess I'll probably need nVidia hardware more than AMD/ATI atm...

TIA,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/