text editor

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon May 31 17:48:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:36:53 -0500 (CDT), Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> Vim is much smaller than Emacs but it still a few MB's here:
>>
>>   keramida at kobe:/usr/ports/packages/All$ ls -ld vim*
>>   -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  - 5757731  1 =CE=91=CF=80=CF=81 17:11 vim-lite-7.2.344.tbz
>
> Yeah, but EMACS is (currently) reputed to stand for <E>ighty
> <M>egabytes <A>nd <C>onstantly <S>wapping!  *GRIN*

That's an old joke, but it's not particularly good anymore.

The smallest laptop-size 2.5" SATA disk I have at home can hold
more than 80 GB of data.  The size of a program is now a limiting
factor only if you are working with embedded applications.

Normal, every-day computers have enough disk space to hold tens
of thousands of full Emacs installations even without any sort of
compression :-)