text editor

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Sun May 30 14:11:45 UTC 2010

Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 11:36:31 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>> Been using ee and been happy.
>>
>> Now I have need for an editor with block commands.
>> Put dd on the first line of sequence number you want to start deleting and dd on the
>> last line of the block and hit enter and the block of lines are deleted.
>> OR
>> Put cc on first line and cc on last line of black to copy and enter "I" on line where
>> you want the copied block to be inserted after.
>> Also same for mm meaning move block.
>>
>> Is there any editors with a function like this?
>
> Hmmm... block commands are a big strength of joe (Joe's own
> editor). Start block with ^KB, end block with ^KK. Blocks
> can be copied with ^KC, moved with ^KM and deleted with
> ^KY. ^KH and "man joe" for more details.
>
> Another solution is mcedit, the editor that comes with the
> Midnight Commander. Press PF3 on block start, move to block
> end, press PF3, the block will be selected. Press PF8 to
> delete it.
>
> And a third suggestion: the (The Hessling Editor), a very
> powerful editor, allthough "a bit strange" to learn. If
> you already have an ISPF/PDF background, this editor will
> be for you.

I installed pkg_add -r the
entering "the" on the command line produces something that is far
removed from ispf/pdf. manpage and website documentation for "the"
really sucks. Think I need to create a default profile that activates
ispf but have found no instructions on how to do it. Can not find "the"
profile on my system.

more help please.