fonts qstns.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun May 30 07:51:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 07:55:22AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 29/05/2010 22:11:07, Gary Kline wrote:
> > guys,
> >
> > given the depth and wide scope of knoweldge on this list, i'm
> > hoping that somebody can clue me in on font stuff... BUT:
> > the fonts i'm interested in have to work with openoffice.
>
> Any truetype or postscript font should work with OOo.  I believe OOo
> will pick up whatever is available system-wide nowadays.  If not, there
> will be an admin app you can use to add your font to the repertoire it
> knows about.  Last time I used it, it vaguely recall it was called
> "sadmin," but that was a long time ago now.

	there WAS  a font-adding 'wizard' that added OO fonts; i cant
	find it now.  google may help me.  [[just is an aside, but
	i've always appreciated the artistic part of creating a
	typeface.  i prefer the serif fonts --in general-- just
	wondering which is among the best choices for a Long book...

> Note that this controls what OOo wll display to you on-screen.  You make
> not get exactly the same font on a printout, depending on the make and
> model of your printer.

	yeah, found this out a long time ago. but here is a question
	for you or anyone else who may be hardware savvy.

	according to one fellow, the top display shows only 72dpi;
	that is why sans serif [like arial] render better than, say,
	times.  does this still hold?

> > first, i'm looking for a font that is apropos for long
> > manscripts.  printed.  books rather than newspapers or other
> > ink+paper material.  to me, GEorgia works quite nicely for
> > my book "JOURNEY."  but am wondering if there is such a thing as
> > a semi-bold  [or darker than usual regular] typeface.
>
> I'm quite partial to Gentium as a well proportioned, easy to read serif
> font.  It's not very dark on the page though -- from a distance a sheet
> of Gentium text appears noticably lighter than many other fonts.

	no doubt due to thinner lines in the stems and so on.  my
	father did display signage for stores; i remember the design
	books.  one reason i like  aheavier typeface is my
	eyesight--MAYBE.  i have discovered thst if the print is
	widely spaced [[increased leading]] i can read even small
	type easily.  i don't think we evolved to read text, :-)

> > i hope you're all sitting down now; i'm ready to pay for this
> > font.  --hope nodybody fell over :)
>
> You might want to take a look at
> http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software_catalog.asp?by=cat&name=Font
> - -- I've already mentioned their Gentium font, but Charis SIL and Doulos
> SIL looks promising too[*].  There isn't a port for either of those last
> two but you can look at the type-sample PDFs.  Whipping a port together
> shouldn't be too much trouble.

	around 1998 i did a port of enscript fonts.   the best one
	that were free, complete [iso-5589-1] and public.  maybe i
	can add the font to my ports.  i think i upgraded it twice.
	the enscript methodology used to be the only way of using
	these fonts in my collection, but no more!

	thanks much,

	gary

> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> [*] These are the people to go to if you are desperate for a font based
> on Sudanese camel branding marks...

	gotcha.  actually i'm looking for a typeface based on yak's
	molars; what can i say?

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
           http://journey.thought.org  99 44/100% Guaranteed Novel