FreeBSD router - large scale

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Fri May 28 11:38:39 UTC 2010

On 28/05/2010 12:31, Svein Skogen (Listmail Account) wrote:
> On 27.05.2010 17:00, Kevin Wilcox wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> We're in the very early stages of considering [Free|Open]BSD on
>> commodity hardware to handle NAT *and* firewall duties for (what I
>> consider to be) a sizable deployment. Overall bandwidth is low, only a
>> gigabit connection, but we handle approximately fifteen thousand
>> devices. DHCP and DNS would be passed through to other servers, this
>> hardware would only be responsible for address translation and pf.
>>
>> I've done this on a very, very small scale (small/home office, small
>> business) but I'm curious how many other folks are doing it on this
>> scale, the hardware they are running on and any "gotchas" they may
>> have faced. Does pf on FreeBSD take advantage of multiple cores/SMP?
>> Is it preferable, as with OpenBSD, to go for a very stout processor
>> without much consideration to cores?  Would freebsd-net@ be a better
>> place to ask this?
>>
>> I'm getting ready to start digging in to memory and other resources
>> needed based on available documentation but real-world usage is much
>> preferred to my academic assessment.
>>

> Actually, I'd find an answer from the FreeBSD Networking gurus useful as
> well. My trusted Cisco 3640 is getting old (had it's
> ten-years-of-service birthday a little while ago), so I guess I must be
> prepared to replace it with something new. Preferrably something that
> can do proper NAT port mapping to the inside servers in an
> RFC1918-adressed DMZ, proper NAT mapping for the client net, incoming
> VPDN (virtual private dialin network, such as PPTP+MPE and L2TP+IPSEC
> tunelling), sane IDS in the border-gateway, GRE or IPinIP tunelling with
> crypto for remote-sites, etc
>
> If somebody has a good starting-point for documentation on these
> features, I'm more than willing to "do a procject on it" to create a
> mini-howto/handbook-section on "setting up FreeBSD as your border
> gateway", provided I have someone to ask when the documentation is ...
> flaky. ;)

This is possibly the wrong place to be saying this, but isn't OpenBSD
usually recommended for
routers? I believe the version of pf, for example, is normally kept more
up-to-date than than
in FreeBSD.  The major downside I know of is that it's not nearly as
user-friendly; for example
my recollection of its installer is that you have to input sector
offsets manually in the partition editor!

--
Bruce Cran