any shortcuts to doc to ascii?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu May 27 23:36:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 05:03:02AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:38:47 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> >

> > guys,
> >
> > is there anything that can take these hex triplets such as
> >
> > We Don\xe2\x80\x99t
> >
> > and render them back to the ascii or keyboard equivalents?
> > in this case, the \x99 would be an apostrophe.
> > thus:
> >

> > We Don't
> >
> > tia,
> >
> > gsry
> >
> > ps: even lynx -dump messes up, i believe.  i'm trying to go from
> > DOC  back to typewriter....
>

> Yes, even a typewriter is better than DOC. :-)

	man, you got that right!!

> To process DOC files into ASCII, there are several ways, with
> different complexity:
>
> Most complex ones: Use OpenOffice or Abiword, open the file and
> save it as ASCII. Included "special characters" should be in
> regular ASCII representation now.
>
> Better: Use (from ports) catdoc or antiword.

	i don't see any ascii suffix [for OOo].  i saved as .txt.
	same krap.  the \x94, x9d, \x9c...  same with catdoc.  i'll
	try antiword.  [forgot about that.  ]

> I'm not sure in how far conflicting codepages may be involved.
> It is known that "Windows" does have problems supporting standards,
> and this applies to character sets and language variations, too.

	your words could be emblazoned in 24k gold on some Monument
	of Truth.  i've been fighting going for mac to OOo and back...
	(******)

	thanks.

	gary

	ps: antiword same as catdoc.  back to my per substitutions.
	that works, along with vi's Builtin subs.

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
           http://journey.thought.org  99 44/100% Guaranteed Novel