jails and one dynamic ip address

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Wed May 26 01:34:36 UTC 2010

>> I get one dynamic ip address from my ISP. This is what I specify on the
>> jail for public network access. When the ip address changes on me I have to
>> manually change the ip address associated with the jail.
>>
>> Is there some method I can code so jail will all ways have public network
>> access?

 > Hi,
 >

 > Sure there can be a better solution (I think :)):
 >
 > Use an rfc1918 private address range for your Jail, and use nat, to
 > forward your external interface IP to the private address of the jail.
 >
 > This can be done in ipnat, PF, or the other natting, packet filtering
 > tools.
 >
 > Hope I understood your question :).
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Balázs M.

The jails are on the host with LAN behind it and with ipf firewall which
allows out anything coming from LAN private ip address. I was not able
to get this to work until I discovered the jail needed a copy of the
hosts /etc/resolv.conf. Now it works without any special tweaks, and the
dymanic ip address changing causes no problems.