What have I done?

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Mon May 24 20:02:35 UTC 2010

On May 24 2010 12:21, William Vining wrote:
> I experienced a similar situation under different circumstances. It
> turned out that the sysctl
> variable hw.snd.default_unit was refering to the wrong sound card. Not
> sure if thats the
> problem, but it might be worth checking if you have multiple sound cards.
>
> -- WFV
> wfvining at gmail.com
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Chip Camden
> <sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:
> >
> > This question is going to make me sound pretty stupid, but I haven't
> > been able to figure it out.
> >
> > I had mplayer (the console version) running in one urxvt, and I thought
> > I had a different urxvt focused when I typed a command (I think it was
> > 'make install clean') -- but mplayer was actually focused instead.  The
> > ENTER caused mplayer to close (I was listening to a stream URL), and
> > because I had exec'd mplayer its terminal window closed as well.
> >
> > I cursed myself for losing focus on my focus, and attempted to restart
> > mplayer.  It acts like it is playing the track, but no sound.  I've tried
> > unmute, turning the volume all the way up, deleting my .mplayer files,
> > still no joy.  I even shutdown and powered off and then rebooted.  Any
> > other suggestions?
> > --

OK, there's more going on here than I realized.  My sound seems to be
disabled if I load the driver in /boot/loader.conf, but works OK if I use
kldload after booting instead.  Bizarre.  I've repeated the experiment
several times with the same results, using either snd_driver or snd_hda.

cat /dev/sndstat (when working):

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA IDT 92HD81B1X PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <HDA IDT 92HD81B1X PCM #1 Analog> (rec)
pcm2: <HDA Intel G45 HDMI PCM #0 DisplayPort> (play)