FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE: property 'jailed' not supported on FreeBSD: permission denied

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon May 24 07:46:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:13:28AM +0400, Eugene Mitrofanov wrote:
> On Saturday 22 May 2010, jhell wrote:
> > On 05/21/2010 07:55, Eugene Mitrofanov wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > The command "zfs set jailed=on tank/s1" is failed with the message "
> > > property 'jailed' not supported on FreeBSD: permission denied".
> > >
> > > Output of "zfs get jailed tank/s1" shows me that the property "jailed" is
> > > still exists:
> > > NAME     PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
> > > tank/s1  jailed    off      default
> > >
> > > How can I change its value?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Simply put,
> >
> > property 'jailed' not supported on FreeBSD.
> >
> > Some features that you may see in a "zfs get all pool" will not work
> > because they are not implemented yet or are not planned to be
> > implemented because they are too *Solaris dependent.
> >

> But this feature was in 7S and in 8.0R:
>
> root at donkey:samba33# uname -sr
> FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE
> root at donkey:samba33# zfs set jailed=on data/test
> root at donkey:samba33# zfs get jailed data/test
> NAME       PROPERTY  VALUE      SOURCE
> data/test  jailed    on         local
>
> When I updated to 8.1PRE it stopped working. Are there any plans for the
> revival of "jailed"?

ZFS_PROP_ZONED (property "jailed") was explicitly added to the
not-supported-on-FreeBSD property list as of 5 weeks ago per MFC
r197867.  See commit 1.4.2.4 to RELENG_8 here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common/libzfs_dataset.c

And the piece which was committed to HEAD:

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=197867

CC'ing responsible committers to answer your question.