hal daemon???

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun May 23 07:03:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 07:30:50AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2010 20:57:01 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> >
> > i am finally making some progress, however slight.  i tried using
> > sound-juicer with the -d=/dev/cd1 and a popup [dialog] said
> > something about hal not running.  i 'm guilty of inattention to
> > detail here.  how to i fire up this daemon?  or is it more
> > complicated than that?
>
> HAL is not complicated, it's just useless. :-)
>
> No, honestly: You first need to install it from ports or
> packages, then add
>
> 	hald_enable="YES"
>
> to your /etc/rc.conf.
>
> 	# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start
>
> should then start this service. If may (!) be possible that
> this isn't sufficient, and you need to install and run DBUS
> as well.
>
> And maybe you need to recompile X and some of your programs.
>

> Have you already tried to play (just play) a music CD with the
> base system's command
>
> 	# cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1
>
> This should work basically, without HAL, without X. In such a
> case, it's often good to start with the easiest implementation
> just to see if it works.

	I think i had to reset automount and begin playing or
	whatever from the KDE Controls.  truth is, this used to be
	easier with ol' sound-juicer.  AlTHO, maybe it took a bunch
	of other configs.  anyhow, looks more hopeful now.

	gary

	ps: for my next trick: getting a dvd to play..... X-| .

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
           http://journey.thought.org  99 44/100% Guaranteed Novel