atapicam issues

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sun May 23 04:01:16 UTC 2010

On 22 May 2010, at 20:47, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:
> I have 2 systems running 8.0 installed from the same CD.  One of them shows 2 PASS devices as expected and camcontrol devlist shows the appropriate devices.  They work as expected.
>
> The other does not show any PASS devices and camcontrol devlist shows nothing.  Doing a kldload atapicam installs the PASS devices and then camcontrol works properly.  Why would that system require atapicam to be manually added?  That module was not loaded on the working system.  I installed it there first by accident but it had no detrimental effect.
>
> I don't find any reference to atapi or atapicam in the various rc files._______________________________________________
>
> atapicam is loaded from /boot/loader.conf as most hardware kernel mods are.  AFAIK, something would have needed to changed on your working system the behavior you report.  Perhaps you followed the handbook's instructions about cd burning long ago and forgot you edited the config?
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

Both machines were installed from the same CD over old Windows systems.  They were installed within a few days of each other.  loader.conf only has "console=comconsole".  Reading through the handbook page above it indicates that atapicam needs to be loaded in /boot/loader.conf.  I'll add that to both machines.  Makes me wonder why the one worked.  kldstat showed it was not loaded.