an ACK, still here...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat May 22 20:13:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 09:17:53AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 20:47:10 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > anyway, this is thanks and an ACK mostly to polyt and roland.  i
> > will get down and find the usb port, but if i did it now i'd
> > never be able to haul myself back up.  they would find my
> > bleached bones beside my 'puter, crouched and looking for that
> > usb slot.
>
> Oh, I had a similar problem, too: USB slot only on the back
> of the PC, hard to reach, and that's why uncomfortable and
> furthermore unusable.
>
> My solution was to get an USB cable USB-A plug to USB-A socket,
> quite simple, and have the USB socket (now on wire) directly
> on the desk.

	i run into some problems since i only have one harnd/arm, and
	that is the sheer weight of the dell.  it is heavy++.  yeah,
	the usb ports may be or ARE on the back of the tower case.
	there may be just-one in front somewhere.

> If you recognize you often need more than one USB slot, you
> usually would decide to get an USB hub, also a good tool on
> top of the desk.
>
> One of the most comfortable solutions I've seen (and used)
> is to have a USB slot (ot two, usually) on the keyboard. A
> good example for this is the Apple keyboard, and of course
> the Sun USB type 7 keyboard. This way, you can also attach
> an USB mouse directly on the table, or have two slots for
> removable media (e. g. for USB sticks, USB hard disks or
> USB camera, or webcam, or USB steam engine).
>
> Allthough most "modern" PCs have USB slots on their front,
> it's still inconvenient to put them under the desk, allowing
> a chair or your feet to kick (and maybe break) the USB
> stick - I've already seen that happening LIVE. On the other
> hand... who wants to put ugly designed PC minitowers onto
> the desk? It's not that they look like an SGI Octane... :-)

	lolololol.  no, i'll keep my hardware out of sight and be
	very-very careful:-)   actually, a friend at the u of
	washington says he will have a week or so next month to help
	me with some things-computer.  i am really waaaaay overdue to
	get me a dual-core or whatever intel or amd computer.  a
	Second one; i already have one as my ns1.thought.org.  my
	fellow computer geek says he can set things up so that my
	*new* 2-core will be both a SECOND ns1.thought.org as well
	as my new tao.thought.org.

	gary

	ps:  late last night  i wrote roland offline with the
	update that i cannot get my optical drives to be recognized.
	(((i Am portupgrading, so things are in flux.)))   my
	"theraputic reboot" [shutdown -r now] did little good.

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
           http://journey.thought.org  99 44/100% Guaranteed Novel