amavisd - exited on signal 11 - FreeBSD 8 with Perl 5.10

Hans F. Nordhaug Hans.F.Nordhaug at hiMolde.no
Thu May 20 22:45:11 UTC 2010

* Hans F. Nordhaug <Hans.F.Nordhaug at hiMolde.no> [2010-04-29]:
> * Hans F. Nordhaug <Hans.F.Nordhaug at hiMolde.no> [2010-04-29]:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have been happily running Postfix with amavisd-new (and Clamav
> > and SpamAssassin) on FreeBSD 7 with Perl 5.8 for a long time.
> > Recently, I upgraded to FreeBSD 8 and rebuilt all ports (after
> > updating). Suddenly I saw many
> >     kernel: pid xxxxx (perl), uid 110: exited on signal 11
> > lines in /var/log/messages and mailq returns some messages
> > with comments like:
> >
> >     (lost connection with 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] while sending end
> >     of data -- message may be sent more than once)

Cutting a lot of debug statements here - see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-April/215759.html
for my complete original messages

I finally found the problem - the spamassassin bayes db. For some
reason Perl (or really spamassassin) exited on signal 11 when reading
the bayes db. The reason it took my so long to find the problem was:

1) I was lazy and in stead of testing with
      su vscan -c 'spamassassin -D -t < msg.txt'
   as recommended, I just ran
      spamassassin -D -t < msg.txt
   as root. The later command didn't exit with signal 11, while the
   first did - it stopped after

[...]
check: pms new, time limit in 293.202 s
locker: mode is 384
locker: safe_lock: created /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes.mutex
locker: safe_lock: trying to get lock on /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes with 10 timeout
locker: safe_lock: link to /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes.mutex: link ok
bayes: tie-ing to DB file R/W /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
bayes: tie-ing to DB file R/W /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
bayes: found bayes db version 3

2) The debug in /var/log/maillog (as posted in my earlier messages) was

[...]
bayes: tie-ing to DB file R/W /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
bayes: tie-ing to DB file R/W /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
bayes: found bayes db version 3
locker: refresh_lock: refresh /var/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes.lock

It didn't stop at the same point - "bayes: found bayes db version 3".

3) sa-learn didn't report any problems with the bayes db.

Anyway, the solution was simple - "rm -rf /var/amavis/.spamassassin/*".

I guess I should have asked on the amavisd mailing list, but at least
this is documented here now for other FreeBSD users that get this problem
after upgrading from Perl 5.8 to 5.10.

Regards,
Hans Nordhaug