Autoresponders [payne@magi.magidesign.com: [#24508600] Re: Need advise.]

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu May 20 16:21:30 UTC 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Bob Hall wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:37:22PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
>> Headers attached, so we can stop this nonsense in the future.
>
> I've gotten the same thing, and I'm a bit confused. What exactly is going on?

The folks at mpcustomer.com have a badly-written (per RFC-3834) autoresponder robot.  It generates responses with a From: header copied from the original human sender.  Some childish script kiddie, upon becoming aware of such a poorly designed system, forged a subscription between it and the FreeBSD mailing lists, so people posting to the list get spammed by mpcustomer.com tickets.

Given that <postmaster at mpprotect.com> doesn't work, I've been reporting this spam to the ISP hosting their netblock, <abuse at networklayer.com>.

Regards,
--
-Chuck