increasing memory for no root users on freebsd 8.0

Vikash Badal Vikash.Badal at is.co.za
Thu May 20 15:26:50 UTC 2010

Can someone assist me with tunning freebsd 8.0 so that I can allocate more memory to a process that is not owned by root or running as root.

>From top
I get this line before it coredumps.

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
1161 nntpd      1500  44    0   502M   303M STOP     1:27  0.00% nntpd

The server has:
real memory  = 4294967296 (4096 MB)
avail memory = 3145883648 (3000 MB)

/boot/loader.conf
kern.maxdsiz="768M"
kern.maxssiz="768M"
kern.maxtsiz="768M"

limits
Resource limits (current):
  cputime              infinity secs
  filesize             infinity kB
  datasize               786432 kB
  stacksize              786432 kB
  coredumpsize         infinity kB
  memoryuse            infinity kB
  memorylocked         infinity kB
  maxprocesses             5547
  openfiles               11095
  sbsize               infinity bytes
  vmemoryuse           infinity kB
  pseudo-terminals     infinity
  swapuse              infinity kB

according to tuning(7)

     The kern.dfldsiz and kern.dflssiz tunables set the default soft limits
     for process data and stack size respectively.  Processes may increase
     these up to the hard limits by calling setrlimit(2).  The kern.maxdsiz,
     kern.maxssiz, and kern.maxtsiz tunables set the hard limits for process
     data, stack, and text size respectively; processes may not exceed these
     limits.  The kern.sgrowsiz tunable controls how much the stack segment
     will grow when a process needs to allocate more stack.

But setting these values in /boot/loader.conf does not seem to solve the memory limits that I am hitting.

Any idea where I'm going wrong ?

Thanks

Please note: This email and its content are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link http://www.is.co.za/legal/E-mail+Confidentiality+Notice+and+Disclaimer.htm. Should you not have Web access, send a mail to disclaimers at is.co.za and a copy will be emailed to you.