Need advise.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu May 20 07:10:20 UTC 2010

On 19/05/2010 21:07:22, payne at magi.magidesign.com wrote:

> I have a box that I need to add several software
> package, I can't use ports because it appears that they have blocked the
> ports to do a fetch.
>
> So I am wondering what can I do?

Do you have HTTP access from the machine, possibly via some sort of
proxy? If so, you can tell the ports system to prefer HTTP rather than
FTP for fetching sources.  Or if you'ld prefer to install via pkgs, you
can just substitute 'http' for 'ftp' when downloading from ftp.freebsd.org

* To make the ports prefer downloading sources via HTTP, add this to
/etc/make.conf:

MASTER_SORT?= http

Not all ports have sources available via HTTP, but you can make the
ports system grab the distfiles by HTTP from ftp.freebsd.org like so:

MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE?=
http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/${DIST_SUBDIR}/

* To set up global FTP or HTTP proxies to be used by fetch(1), create
environment variables:

   FTP_PROXY = http://your.proxy.server:3128
   HTTP_PROXY = http://your.proxy.server:3128

You'll need to adapt that to local circumstances, obviously.  Not all
proxies work via HTTP on port 3128, that's just what you'ld get with
squid.  See fetch(3) for details of what environment settings you can
play with.

Note: a handy way to add those variables globally to all login sessions
is to use /etc/login.conf  You want to change this line:

        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES:\

to read

:setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES,FTP_PROXY=http\c//your.proxy.server\c3128,HTTP_PROXY=http\c//your.proxy.server\c3128:\

* To make the pkg system use HTTP to download packages, you can set
another environment variable:

       PACKAGEROOT = http://ftp.freebsd.org

See pkg_add(1) for details.

	Cheers,