downloading e-mail is blocking network

Marco Beishuizen mbeis at xs4all.nl
Wed May 19 19:15:27 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm having a strange network problem. Every day, when I turn on my
computer, fetchmail is started and procmail is putting all my mail in the
correct mailboxes. This takes some time because I receive a few hundred
e-mails a day (mostly mailing lists).

The strange thing is that when the e-mail is being downloaded, all other
network traffic seems blocked. So browsing the internet is not possible
when fetchmail/procmail is busy. At first I thought I had a problem with
DNS and/or DHCP and/or my ADSL modem because after a reset of the modem,
the problem mostly went away, and there were some "hostname not found"
errors in my logfiles. But today I just waited for a while and discovered
that when fetchmail/procmail is finished, the internet suddenly was
reachable again.

So has anyone has seen fetchmail/procmail blocking network traffic before?

Regards,
Marco

--
You may my glories and my state dispose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.