building apr1 fails

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 09:41:50 UTC 2010

DA Forsyth wrote:

> Hiya all
>
> Going round in circles here tryign to update apache 2.0 to 2.2
> I have read UPDATING and it says to uninstall apache before updating
> apr.

Yes - the presence of 2.0 conflicts with 2.2 so it is necessary to remove
first.

> However, apr will not build, giving
>
> ===>  Building for apr-ipv6-devrandom-gdbm-db42-1.4.2.1.3.9_1
> cd /usr/ports/devel/apr1/work/apr-1.4.2; /usr/bin/env SHELL=/bin/sh
> NO_LINT=YES ACLOCAL=/usr/local/bin/aclocal-1.9
> AUTOMAKE=/usr/local/bin/automake-1.9 AUTOMAKE_VERSION=19
> AUTOCONF=/usr/local/bin/autoconf-2.62
> AUTOHEADER=/usr/local/bin/autoheader-2.62
[snip]
> /usr/ports/devel/apr1/work/apr-1.4.2/libtool: Xpasswd/apr_getpass.lo:
> not found
> libtool: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `':
> not found
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apr1/work/apr-1.4.2.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apr1/work/apr-1.4.2.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apr1.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apr1.
> ======================================
>
> I've tried a bunch of stuff, including rebuilding libtool22,
> upgrading to python26 and a few other things I cannot recall now.

I have seen before reports concerning problems with building Apache
utilizing the devel/apr port (the recommended default). Since the variables
controlling the Apache version have changed over time you should look at
your make.conf and ensure there is no left over cruft of the WITH_APACHE=xx
or USE_APACHE=xx variety. In the beginning of the move towards 2.0 and the
subsequent introduction of 2.2 it was necessary to set these, but that is no
longer true.

When you do 'make config' for the Apache build, deselect the 'APR_FROM_PORTS
"Use devel/apr (recommended)"' option. It is "ON" by default and is the
recommended selection. It has some kind of problem and this error has been
reported on these lists before.

I just updated Apache to 2.2.15_5 yesterday and it builds fine when the
above mentioned option is turned off.

-Mike