Question not found in FAQs or other documentation

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sun May 16 00:43:02 UTC 2010

On 5/15/10 5:57 PM, jon wrote:

> To whom it concerns,
Not us, really.  This strikes me much more as a Mac OS or local network
support issue.

> I am a relatively basic/amateur computer user and I just noticed today
> that my "recent servers" lists "Free BSD".
Your "recent servers" list where?  We need more details.  I suspect you
mean Finder->Connect to Server->Recent Servers, but that's just an
educated guess.

> I do not knowingly connect to any outside servers and am concerned
> that any server has been connected to my computer.
You really need to determine what computer on your network(s) identifies
itself with the name "Free BSD" if you wish to track this down.  If you
dislike the fact that Mac OS X tries to list other computers on your
local network, I'd strongly urge you to go into System Preferences and
make sure that all sharing services are turned off and that the firewall
is turned on with the most locked down set of options.

However, keep in mind that Mac OS X likes to list other local computers
which make file services available over AFP or SMB, and this does *not*
mean that the other computers are connecting to your laptop (although it
doesn't rule it out either).

> My question is: how can I prevent this server from ever connecting to
> my computer again? And anything else I can do to delete this server,
> this connection....

I've seen nothing in your description to indicate that there is a
current connection of any type.  If it bugs you, what about hitting the
"clear recent servers" button, should that exist in 10.4.  (I have
nothing older than 10.5 to look at.)  And make sure that *your* sharing
is off and firewall is on.
> I have an Apple powerbook G4 running Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Upgrade to Mac OS 10.5.8 if your hardware supports it.  It's still
getting more attention from Apple.

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com