Very simple file sharing between FreeBSD server and

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Sat May 15 02:21:33 UTC 2010

I've watched this thread for several days now and to put in my 2 cents:

1. Samba is not that complicated. I've been using it for years and can have it up and configured in a matter of minutes.

2. Samba quickly allows you to see your FreeBSD servers from your windows clients just like it was a Windows Server. A simple smb.conf file is all you need.

3. You can get a lot more complex setup with Samba with security, R/W options etc... but for what you're descibing I'd recommend Samba or use a graphical FTP client on your Windows clients to access your FreeBSD server. Command line FTP is an option but it's a lot more complicated than just setting up Samba.

Good luck.