user friendliest gui

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 13 15:47:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010 13:10:51 +0000, Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola at familycareintl.org> wrote:
> Ok so I have my new box setup and I have installed
> Clamav-devel
> Tcl86
> Dialog

You only need one of the last two things. You have to decide:

a) Want X?
   Use Tcl/Tk.
   Install both tcl and tk ports.
   Examples in /usr/local/lib/tk<version>/demos.

b) Work in text mode?
   Use dialog.
   Comes with base system.
   Examples in /usr/share/examples/dialog.

c) Work in text more, but make it more complicated?
   Use ncurses and curses development kit.
   Install cdk from ports.
   Examples in /usr/local/share/examples/cdk.

Depending on your decision, the path follows. :-)

Oh, CDK is not that bad or complicated, but I think you should
go with dialog first. If you've got enough experience in
implementing shell "wrappers" / "extenders" with dialog, it
should be an easy task to do the same with Tcl/Tk. Keep in
mind that using X limits the usability of your project (which
is a very useful one per se).

> First question is , I have only ever used clamav-clamd in the
> past which I start with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/clamav-clamd start
> to run it, how do I run devel?

> Second question is , where to o go from here?

Basically, you enclose the obvious steps in a wrapper telling
the users what to do and showing the process, as I "did as if"
in an ealier message. Stes involve identifying partitions on
the USB stick (file, fdisk), mounting it (mount), running the
scanner, unmounting it, maybe in sequence for multiple partitions.

> I have tried to man tcl86 and man clamav-devel but I get no manual entry

You'll find documentation for locally added ports or packages
in the correct directories, /usr/local/share/doc as well as
/usr/local/share/examples (append port name).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany