Long I/O pauses on same mass storage

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed May 12 23:44:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM, A. Wright <andrew at qemg.org> wrote:

> This is indeed one of the so-called "eco" drives.
>
> The controller is set to SATA (no mention of ahci, though I will
> now look at it as suggested earlier to see if I can control the
> problem that way).
>

>  In addition to what I pointed out earlier, I believe that is
>> also a 4k sector drive.  You'll need to align your partitions
>> accordingly.
>>

> As far as I can tell, it is a standard 512 byte sector.  The
> general lack of documentation with this drive (shipped in a
> plastic "coffin" -- the only docs supplied with it were the
> label itself), but on the WD site, they indicate:
>        Formatted Capacity      1500301 MB
>        Used Sectors Per Drive  2930277168

As I understand it, all the 64MB EARS model drive have the WD Advanced
Format eg 4k sectors.  I don't have one and I'm pulling this (from the
depths of memory || out of my ass), but I think those drives also have
something funky going on where they report normal 512 sector when in fact
they do have 4k ones.  Either way, it wouldn't hurt to align on 1MB
boundaries.

--
Adam Vande More